Fix: Plugin error when upgrading EM13cR1 agent to EM13cR2 (13.2) on Windows 2008 R2 x64

I ran into the following issue while attempting to upgrade to the Oracle management agent on my one Windows (2008 R2, x64) server to the 13.2.0.0.0 version distributed with Oracle Enterprise Manager 13.2. The agent upgrade repeatedly failed in the “Upgrading Management Agent” step with an error message:


Exit Code :0
The version is 13.1.0.0.0
Checking for the version 13.2.0.0.0
The agent is not upgraded successfully
[...]
Plugins upgrade failed.
Plugin upgrade failed.
Check the file E:/agent13c/agent_inst/install/plugins_upgrade.txt.status on agent for plugin upgrade status.
Check latest E:/agent13c/agent_inst/install/logs/agentplugindeploy_.log
Plugins upgrade failed.0

The log file referenced in the error message contains some, but not much, additional information:


The command executed for discovery at _2016_10_12_11_48_28 is : E:\agent13c\agent_inst\bin\emctl_upgrade.bat set_discovery_root plugin oracle.sysman.si E:\agent13c\agent_13.2.0.0.0\plugins\oracle.sysman.si.discovery.plugin_13.2.1.0.0 13.2.1.0.0
Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 13c Release 2
Copyright (c) 1996, 2016 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
---------------------------------------------------------------
return value is : 65280
Install case : set_discovery_root failure...existing on error value 65280

I fixed this issue by installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update package on the server. Finally, create a new directory called “prerelogs” inside of the …\agent_13.2.0.0.0\cfgtoollogs\ directory, or else my deployment hung forever during the “Performing prerequisite checks” step. Note that “prerelogs” does not contain the letter q, do not use ‘prereqlogs’. The agent deployment uses this directory to extract software for running the prerequisite checks; possibly setting SCRATCHPATH or another extra parameter would resolve this issue without manually creating the directory, but this worked for me.

After installation of the VC++ 2010 package, which did not require a reboot, followed by creating of the prerelogs directory, I repeated the agent upgrade and it completed successfully.

This issue may or may not occur on other Windows versions, I have not heard any other reports of problems. The first release of EM13c did not seem to require this package.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s